Adobe Air And What It Can Do For You

Posted July 23, 2008 10:38 am by with 6 comments

Picture 8 We all love some of the internet-based applications that are out there and what they can do for you. But, what if those kinds of applications could be moved to your computer? That is what Adobe Air does.

In this 101-level article, I’m going to talk about what Adobe Air is and why you might want to take note of it.

What Is It?

Adobe AIR is a cross-platform runtime environment. In plain English, it is a way for applications to be built and run on any operating system. The programming languages used to build an AIR app are Flash, Flex, HTML and AJAX. These are all inherently web-based programming languages. But, using AIR, those languages can now be used to create a desktop application.

From the programmer’s standpoint, imagine being able to use HTML and AJAX and a webpage editor like Dreamweaver to build a desktop application. It can be done.

Of course, chances are you’re not a programmer so you don’t really care about all that. But, from the end user standpoint, this means you’re going to see (and are seeing) desktop applications that allow you to better interface with Internet services.

How To Get And Use It

In order to run any application programmed with Adobe AIR, you need to download Adobe AIR and put it on your computer. You just download it and install it like any other application.

Then, when you want to install an Adobe AIR app, you just click the link on the website for that app (it usually says “Install Now”). It will automatically launch a small popup window asking if you want to install the application. Confirm and it will do so. From there, the application you install will work just like any other desktop application on your computer.

Whenever an application or Adobe AIR itself gets an update, you will be notified and walked through updating it. Very easy.

Examples

To best understand what AIR is cool for, you need to look at some of the applications that are available.

Ebay Desktop
A full desktop application which allows you to fully interact with Ebay. Overcomes the limitations of using the web browser only.

Twhirl
If you’re a Twitter user, it can suck having a browser tab open all the time for it, tapping F5 to see if there are new tweets.

Pownce
Pownce is another Twitter-like microblogging network and they have their own application.

Nasdaq Market Replay
Stock traders will probably find this AIR app extremely convenient.

Color Browser
A neat way to develop color palettes when putting together a web design.

Google Analytics AIR
Yes, the power of Google Analytics for your website, but in a desktop application.

Klok
A personal time tracker

There are others, of course.

Web apps are are grabbing a huge chunk of the mindshare these days because people are discovering the benefits. AIR is a way to bring that web app mentality back to the desktop. Check it out.

6 responses to Adobe Air And What It Can Do For You

1. Bethany July 23rd, 2008 at 1:06 pm

I just went to try Color Browser and it gives me a note about allowing it Unrestricted access to my computer.

I am sure this developer doesn’t intend to do anything with that, but am concerned why he’d need it.

Just wondering what your thoughts on this were.

Thanks,
    Bethany

2. Phil August 29th, 2008 at 7:21 pm

Bethany,

Got me wondering too on the Ubuntu Air install trying to install using Air for Twhirl. Everything unknown and unrestricted.

I wrote Twirl and asked, sent me back the same link to install it, I have yet to do it.

Phil

3. Snackr: Free RSS Ticker Application | PCMech October 9th, 2008 at 1:55 pm

[...] such application is called Snackr. It is a free, Adobe AIR based app which gives you a ticker-style run of headlines for RSS feeds you subscribe [...]

4. Peter Holland August 25th, 2009 at 9:05 am

Just one more application for which I have no immediate need.

5. Carol March 23rd, 2010 at 10:35 pm

I agree with the 3 of you 100%! ..
    Too many apps like to make themselves at home in our so-called ‘personal’ computers without our consent.
    Even if consent is giiven it’s often done as a trust thing with a question mark, not with a full understanding of why they really are there, what they really do and what’s really going on! Often try to baffled by science I think.
    Personally, I’m planning on ‘downscaling’ (downgrading some would call it) some of the bigger names/software like Adobe, Nero and Microsoft Office to name a few. Getting a bit tired of being used by them, They’ve scattered and spread their family and offspring throughout MY precious pc – to the point of confusion actually!
    I know they are good apps, but in my opinion they are also too big and widespread.
    I am looking into other options as we speak, thats why I am here. And there are quite a few alternatives I’m happy to say!
    Will do much much much more research before I go for the big break (ooh, it’s quite exciting actually!)
    Would be good to know that I don’t actually need them as much as they make me believe I do!!
    Anyway..
    Adobe Air… hmmm?

6. Ned April 28th, 2013 at 11:31 am

so glad you guys are here to make it simple. I don’t like the privacy invasion privileges the developers have with this and my eBay works just fine. All the rest is bla bla for me.