How to Rotate Your Screen Image

Posted September 27, 2006 9:39 am by with 17 comments

A neat little trick you can do in Windows is rotate your entire screen orientation. Try the key combination: Ctrl + Alt + [Arrow Key]. The up arrow will keep or return the orientation to normal and the right, down, and left arrows, respectively, rotate the screen clockwise.

Note, this seems to work on most newer graphic chipsets, so it may not work on older graphics cards or integrated video.

17 responses to How to Rotate Your Screen Image

1. yuyo December 14th, 2007 at 2:55 pm

this did not work for me is there something other then this that i can use to rotate my screen?

2. james December 17th, 2007 at 5:21 pm

this keystroke combination is applicable mainly to systems using intel graphics chipsets. :)

3. Jack Leonard May 3rd, 2008 at 4:54 pm

Another possibility: check Control Panels for an “Intel Extreme Graphics” control panel. Open it and you should have an option to enable rotation as well as buttons for 90, 180 and 270 degrees. If you select Enable Rotation and shut off Num lock you will be able to rotate the screen using the arrow keys on the keypad – Ctrl/Option/Right Arrow (in the keypad) will rotate 90 degrees, Ctrl/Option/Down Arrow for 180, Ctrl/Option/Left Arrow for 270 and Ctrl/Option/Up arrow to return the screen to normal.

4. khaled July 29th, 2008 at 7:53 am

How to Rotate Your Screen Image
    Posted Sep 27, 2006 by David Risley

5. adaris August 25th, 2009 at 8:03 pm

My brothers laptop screen is flipped and we can figure out how to put it back and I try the thing u siad on here but there not working

6. David Grophear November 1st, 2009 at 12:48 pm

My cat sat on my laptop and rotated the screen display. I tried to push everything, then tried Windows Help (worthless). Totally frantic, I listened to my wife and did a search on Ask.com.

Your site came up as well as your answer. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

7. Pro Raj November 15th, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Thank you i was playing potconline and i accedantly rotated my screen.
    Ty for telling me how to fix it

8. Danielle November 20th, 2009 at 11:00 am

9. Alexia March 2nd, 2010 at 11:43 am

I tried this so many times but it isn’t working! is there anything else I can do?

10. Blas March 12th, 2010 at 3:32 pm

On my Acer, using Vista, I can rotate the screen by clicking on my ATI (red) icon in the system tray. (Display driver)

11. jack April 15th, 2010 at 6:59 am

Thanks for this. I accidentally rotated my screen and couldn’t work out how I’d done it!

12. Jan De Smet April 19th, 2010 at 4:21 am

hi,
    Is there an option you can check if the screen rotation doesnt work. I got a user who got a new build on her pc, and while her other colleuges have the option to do the flip screen she doesn’t, any idea where to look for this option?

13. Maria April 30th, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Thanks simple and to the point.

14. jayne June 8th, 2010 at 3:42 pm

brilliant! was playing an older game on dosbox, thought that had done it, but was just the controls i was using! thanks

15. UraDoap September 6th, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Thanks for repeating exactly what’s in the blog, numbnuts

16. loo poo April 5th, 2013 at 11:45 am

thanks. my little sister was being a jerk and pressing random keys so it really helped

17. Adam Schadt April 21st, 2013 at 2:30 pm

How do I do this with an NVIDIA card, I have one in a new laptop I’m using and the shortcut isn’t working.