Internet Explorer 8 Not Coming Until ’09

Posted November 21, 2008 9:52 am by with 5 comments

According to a recent news story, the official release of IE 8 will not be in 2008 as once planned. Basically put, Microsoft feels it needs more shakedown and testing before becoming official – and to be honest I am in 100% agreement with this.

I’ve used the beta version of 8 (which obviously isn’t finished since it’s beta), and while the browser is better at some things than 7 it does need some buttoning up. I do sincerely appreciate that Microsoft is basically stating "We want to know every single possible complaint you have about 8 and address it before release."

Some are quick to say to use Firefox or Opera as an alternative instead of IE, however there are those who (believe it or not) like IE and want to stick with it. As long as 8 delivers (primarily with its enhanced security and privacy), it will be a worthy upgrade.

On a personal note, some have written that 8 is slower than 7. In the time I used beta 8 that certainly wasn’t the case. Tabs were faster, rendering was better and simply put, it was just easier to use than 7. I will be happy to ditch 7 for 8 and will do so without hesitation – but not until official release.

[Source: ChannelWeb]

5 responses to Internet Explorer 8 Not Coming Until ’09

1. John Omohundro November 21st, 2008 at 1:30 pm

Let’s not forget about Google’s Chrome browser. Hopefully Google will continue with their work on it and advance it past the beta stage. I’ve been using it since it was announced several months ago, and I only use something else when the current version of Chrome doesn’t support what I need to do.

Anyone know what Google’s current plans are for Chrome?

2. David M November 21st, 2008 at 1:52 pm

I still don’t know why anyone still uses IE? Must be that its hard to break bad habits? Either that or some people just don’t know any better.

3. Sharron November 21st, 2008 at 4:01 pm

Believe it or not, from the data I’ve accumulated from my blog visitors over the last 5 months, it appears, strangely, that IE6 is the most popular web browser out there; with Firefox3 and IE7 continually tussling for 2nd place. IE8 beta only appears to have a small amount of usage, probably because it’s still a beta.

I’m not going to pass comment on IE8 itself yet, and won’t be doing so until it gets a final release.

2009 seems a rather late date to release it. Does it by any chance hold the record or come anywhere near it for the longest development phase for any browser edition?

4. Chalupa November 21st, 2008 at 10:34 pm

I downloaded IE8 beta, and it locked up and closed every time I tried to open it. So I had to uninstall it. :(

5. Drew November 23rd, 2008 at 12:51 am

Used it. Abused it. Removed it.
    I’ll stick with FF myself until such times as the final release is ready for download. FF will still be my primary browser of choice though.