Is The New MSN.com Really That Bad?

Posted March 23, 2010 6:00 am by with 21 comments

Four months ago we were given an opportunity to preview the new design of MSN.com. I personally gave it the thumbs up because it was my opinion that the new design was modernized in all the right ways. The old design was very "Web 1.0" and I considered it good that it was ditched for something more streamlined and useful.

The new MSN.com design has now been deployed, and here are some of the comments from the linked article above (these are all PCMech readers):

This new MSN.com SUCKS!!!! How do I get the old back? I will never use this.. I will switch and never come back… get me back to the original version….

This new home page was thrust on me without my consent. I am trying to get a new email address so I don’t have to look at this ugly home page

This looks too much like it’s trying to be yahoo. and i have to go to new tabs and pages to see what i could of seen just on one page. i don’t think it’s a matter of people not being able to deal with change. i think it’s a matter of how convenient the old page was, everything i wanted to know was there on one page, most of the time i didn’t even have to scroll down.

With these absolutely horrendous changes I will be going elsewhere. Give me back the blue background where all the important headlines were right there for me to see.

Basically put, everybody hates it.

What are MSN.com’s two biggest mistakes with the new design?

1. There is no option to get the site to revert back to how it used to look.
  2. There are no options to move things where you want them to be.

Yahoo.com for example does have the ability to "go retro". Without any requirement to sign in, on the top right of that site you can click Page Options and then Switch to compact view. In the same menu, you can click Move News on Top.

If the new MSN.com design had similar user options, I don’t think people would be nearly as vocal in their disapproval.

The only way to get an MSN.com looking the way you want now is to go to my.msn.com, login with a Hotmail account and then you get the options that matter. Boxes can be moved anywhere you want, content can be customized easily and it works out quite nicely.

I’m still of the opinion the new design of MSN.com is better than the old.

My question now is this:

Is there anyone out there that thinks the new design of MSN.com doesn’t suck (or is MSN.com now really that bad)?

21 responses to Is The New MSN.com Really That Bad?

1. Aaron Fournier March 23rd, 2010 at 12:10 pm

My mom has MSN as her homepage and she absolutely hates the new one for all the same reasons the people you quoted above said. I on the other hand, like it better. Honestly, I probably would have streamlined it a bit further. I think some of the sections could have been combined and oriented differently.

2. Brian March 23rd, 2010 at 2:00 pm

It certainly works better in widescreen proportions than the old site did.

3. Matt March 23rd, 2010 at 6:43 pm

It’s alright but I really couldn’t care when Google still exists..

4. David M March 23rd, 2010 at 11:15 pm

“This looks too much like it’s trying to be Yahoo……”

Hah! :)

The mediocre emulating the mediocre.

5. Mark F March 24th, 2010 at 10:04 am

I’ve never used MSN. com for anything.

6. joe camenzuli March 24th, 2010 at 11:38 am

Msn – never used it.

7. Phil March 24th, 2010 at 12:55 pm

MMSN apparently thinks they know better than the user. I go to MSN mainly for Bing search, so it is fine with me, but I can see if people use more functions on the site they may be unhappy with it.

8. Jack March 24th, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I had no idea that there was a new MSN until I happened upon these comments. I did a Google search for “MSN.com” that led me to my first view of the new look.

I did not take time to evaluate it, but it did not look too bad at first glance.

I have MSN Premium through Verizon. I contact the “old” version by way of “http://my.msn.com/default.aspx”

You might try that?

9. john dingley March 24th, 2010 at 2:10 pm

is there any way to get the old site back if so let me know thank you

10. Adel March 24th, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Msn had a too happy interface for itself and I was between that and yahoo until of course gmail kicked in which shifted me to google. I don’t think it’s too bad yet a quick change does make people unhappy I suppose .

11. Angus M March 24th, 2010 at 8:09 pm

What I didn’t like was Microsoft not leaving an option “to try and use if you like, leave it if you don’t”. I would have liked to continue using the old and upgrade to the new UNDER MY conditions WHEN I wanted to. That was not the way to treat good customers.

12. Jack March 25th, 2010 at 1:20 am

I just returned from doing some clean-up work on a relative’s computer.

She complained about a new page coming up when she accessed Internet Explorer.

As mentioned in my previous comment, I did this:

Go to Internet Explorer >Tools>Internet Options>in the box “To create page tabs, type each address on thin line”>
    Type “http://my.msn.com”(Do not type the Quotation Marks (“))>
    Apply>
    OK

The next time Internet Explorer was accessed, the old version of the page appeared.

13. Jack March 25th, 2010 at 9:31 am

Reference my previous comment: I have a typing error in
    “in the box “To create page tabs, type each address on thin line”>”

“on thin line” should read “on its own line.”

Sorry about that!

14. isabella March 26th, 2010 at 12:00 am

what the hell!!! msn is great so just back away aye its not that bad it keeps our kids occupied aye… xx

15. Paragon March 28th, 2010 at 12:28 am

The new MSN sucks..I don’t like it.

16. Bob April 12th, 2010 at 11:56 am

I hate the new MSN page because it is very cluttered and the idiots don’ t show the stock market index, it only shows if it’s up or down. Where’s the common sense……Must have lost it in college!

17. J. Levesque June 8th, 2010 at 1:07 pm

After months of being tormented by the new MSN.com and their occasional article titles that only lead to web-site searches – I’ve finally decided to set a new homepage for my news. I’m sure MSN.com will change their web-site design soon-enough with more and more people being sick of it and changing their home-page to something else!

18. PETER SNEDDON December 28th, 2013 at 8:32 pm

REALLY GIVE ME WHAT THEY PAID YOU FOR THE CHANGE AND I WILL GIVE IT BACK
    IF IT IS NOT BROKEN DO NOT FIX IT . IF THE PERSON FEMALE OR MALE WHO DID THIS
    LOOK FOR ANOTHER POSITION. SORRY BUT IT WAS SO EASY BEFORE…

19. Suzdomestic9112014 April 19th, 2014 at 8:46 pm

For an update from 2014 you can’t leave an honest comment (Unlike Yahoo) that is not positive! I wonder why?! I hate MSN – If any site is totally unhonest this would be at the top of my list! That is why anything they say I really take at arms length! if they can’t be honest like everyone else online – Yahoo is just one of many – what else are they hiding?! Just asking!

20. Lou September 15th, 2014 at 3:53 am

The new format sucks! I will not use it. This is even worse than the decision to force long term Hotmail users to move to the very inferior Outlook.
    Whoever makes these decisions must work for the competition!
    Keep up the bad work, pretty soon MSN will be as reviled and obsolete as IE6.

21. aaron September 19th, 2014 at 9:48 am

Site sucks. I like to read headline and decide if I want more details not see a picture that shows me 1/3 of detail on screen. Also looks like designed for my phone as it uses 2/3 screen