Jarte, The Ultimate Lightweight Word Processor? [Video]

Posted September 22, 2009 6:00 am by with 7 comments

With word processing applications there are two types. Those that are too big and full of stuff you’ll never use, and those that are so minimal that most people can’t work with them.

In the “too much” department, Microsoft Office, OpenOffice and Lotus Symphony come to mind. These are all full suites.

In the “not enough” department there is Google Docs, Dark Room, WriteRoom, AbiWord and a few others.

Then there’s Jarte. This word processor utilizes the existing WordPad engine in Windows, yet adds a whole bunch of stuff that makes this a truly good program to write things in.

image

Jarte to most people will look ugly and the interface may throw you off. However once you start actually using it, you’ll find that the way things are laid out are done in a way that makes sense. For example, Jarte has tabs. Tabs? Yes! And they work great. Jarte makes it super-easy to insert special characters like ä or é. Jarte will open both DOC and DOCX (the newer MS Office 2007 format). Jarte will export HTML and/or PDF. This software has it where it counts.

Best of all, Jarte is super-light. The installation file is a tiny 5MB, launches faster than your Word or OpenOffice ever will, and has a feature set which falls into the “just right” department.

Jarte is not a replacement for MS Word or OO Writer. Not by a long shot. But heck, a 5MB feature-rich word processor that will run local or USB stick and uses an existing engine for lightning-fast operation? That’s tough to beat.

Jarte will work on versions of Windows from 95 all the way to 7. How’s that for compatibility?

See video above for details and visit www.jarte.com to download and try it for yourself.

7 responses to Jarte, The Ultimate Lightweight Word Processor? [Video]

1. Jack Cairns September 23rd, 2009 at 12:43 am

Nice. I like the tabs, although I’m still leaning towards AbiWord as my light word processor of choice.

2. Rob Crombie September 23rd, 2009 at 9:46 am

I recently received a docx, and didn’t have much luck with it in Jarte.
    When I am sticking Pins into a doll, I will use one of Bill Gates (or his successor), and not Jarte.

I use Jarte all the time now (it is terrific).
    Did you know that you can export any of it’s documents into a html file ?
    Probably many uses for that.
    One I found recently, was the ability to create a signature file, for use in Thunderbird.

3. Rob Crombie September 23rd, 2009 at 9:49 am

OOPs,
    Just noticed that you had picked up on the html.
    Your readers may still benefit from knowing that they can create formatted signature files for their emails.

4. eli September 23rd, 2009 at 11:18 am

I too love Abiword, but those tabs are super nice! Overall, I think I’ll add Jarte to my cache of apps for a lil while at least, just to try it out.

5. Chris September 23rd, 2009 at 1:07 pm

this actully looks alot easier than word or any other word processer that i have used

6. U-AL September 23rd, 2009 at 2:02 pm

I just installed Open Office instead of MSWord to save hdd space on my laptop five minutes ago.
    Since Jarte can make and read Word documents I will give it a try.

Thanks,
    Al

7. Eddie March 17th, 2010 at 7:22 pm

I bought SoftMaker Office 2010 recently. I fine with its word processor and use it often. I then downloaded Jarte and found I like it better. Damn!