Stop Vista From Being Annoying: Disable UAC

Posted December 16, 2007 11:44 am by with 5 comments

When Windows Vista was launched, it was marketed as the most secure Windows ever. History has shown us, though, that when they say that, it is usually the opposite. Vista might be more secure, however a huge part of that security is accomplished by simply annoying the hell out of the user.

By default, Windows Vista is going to interrupt you whenever you try to do almost ANY system change. This is called User Account Control, or UAC.

It is going to fade out the screen and ask you to confirm your wish to proceed. And in almost all cases, OF COURSE you want to proceed. So, very quickly, this becomes nothing but a sheer annoyance.

uacannoying

Windows XP does not do this. Other operating systems like OS X and Ubuntu are much smarter about this and only ask you for an account password at times when you are changing a core setting in some way. In my opinion, Microsoft simply overdoes it. And they do not require a password, so it begs the question: “Just how secure is this anyway?”. But, I’m not going to try to answer that. I’m just going to tell you how to make it stop.

1. Open up the Vista control panel
  2. Search for “User Account”.
  3. You’ll see the link for “Turn User Account Control (UAC) on or off”. Click that.
  4. Uncheck the box that says “Use User Account Control *UAC) to help protect your computer.
  5. Click OK.
  6. Reboot.

When you’re done, Windows Vista will be much less annoying.

It goes without saying that Microsoft doesn’t want you to do this. This annoyance is part of their security strategy. They’ll drive the point home to you by showing a big red X in your taskbar. It may even bug you from time to time with balloon popups. You can stop that, too, by doing the following:

1. In the Control Panel, go to Security Center.
  2. On the left side, go to “Change the way Security Center alerts me”.
  3. Choose “Don’t notify me and don’t display the icon (not recommended).

And there you go. If you are computer literate, then these popups are just annoying. Now, if you are helping out with the PC of somebody who is NOT computer literate, perhaps you may want to leave this in place. While it is annoying, it can help keep the computer newbie out of trouble at times.

5 responses to Stop Vista From Being Annoying: Disable UAC

1. edmundo_jr December 23rd, 2007 at 2:01 pm

lmao..went back to xp pro after 3 days of vista. twice as fast and everything works! vista like m.e. is just a very nicely dressed up turd. lol keeps costing you more money to try and configure your builds. not to mention all the time and brain damage. microsoft must think we have no jobs and just can sit around all week screwing around booting and rebooting lol. people and things that waste my time are my arch enemies as time and physical and mental health are my priorities at this junture in my life lol. ty ed

2. Michel R. March 29th, 2008 at 8:43 am

That was a lot of “lol”.

I got rid of UAC after two days, and while I’m sure they thought they were doing some good with this, in the end it just annoys users (a lot of which don’t even know they can turn it off) and based on this alone they’ll say “oh, Vista is crap.”

There’s no way you’ll get me to downgrade to XP. Except for the Nvidia driver (I have to use a version from last April, more recent ones don’t work for me), the beast has been rock solid (Ultimate on the desktop PC, Home Premium on the laptop.) It took me a good 10 days to get used to all the changes (lots of swearing during that period), but now using XP (at work) is a pain.

3. Claire August 4th, 2008 at 2:36 pm

Thank you… thank you a lot.
    I’ve heard a lot of rumours about how stopping UAC is impossible, and I am VERY glad to learn that its not! Microsoft were real idiots when they thought this one up XD Seriously.

Thank you! I give you a cookie!

4. Adam September 20th, 2008 at 6:57 pm

unfortunately while this removes the UAC annoyance, you cannot use flash player objects when the UAC is disabled

5. Dennis March 21st, 2010 at 12:46 pm

UAC is just the start of Vista annoyances. I have used DialogDevil to control UAC, the nagging “ballon hints”, and pointless confirmation messages (Did you really mean to ….?)