The Worst Possible Thing That Can Happen With A PC Is…

If posed the question as to what you think the worst possible thing could happen to a PC is, your answer would probably be, "when the hard drive dies".

Wrong.

The worst possible thing that can happen is fire. This is when something in your computer overheats, catches fire and starts melting the "guts" (motherboard, chips, etc.). Fire is the worst because it makes any computer literally unusable – and that’s far worse than a hard drive that croaks.

A small and true story before continuing:

Years ago I was working for a large corporation and the LAN Administrator was delivering a brand new laptop to one of the six-figure guys in the corporate office in Boston Massachusetts. The laptop in question was a Texas Instruments TravelMate 5100. This was at a time when the Pentium processor was still new and laptop makers didn’t really know how to cool those things down just yet.

The guy goes into the six-figure employee’s office, sets up the laptop, plugs it in, presses the power button, and..

POP.

Sounded like a small gunshot.

Smoke comes streaming up from the keyboard. The smell of burnt silicon stunk up the office and more or less the whole floor soon after that. The stench stayed there for a week it was so bad.

Modern-day PCs and laptops thankfully rarely if ever catch fire and start melting stuff, however the threat of fire is not 100% out of the question.

Two common situations that may set your PC ablaze

1. Unbound wires/cables

Dangling unbound wires in a PC case is a fire threat. This is because a wire can get too close to a fan, a fan blade chops the wire, that sets off a spark and if that spark hits the right spot (which it always does), it’s burn city.

Or..

A wire gets too close to a hot item in your case, the wire wrap melts, wire is exposed, throws sparks and produces the same disastrous result.

I cannot stress enough that you should never have dangling wires in a computer case. Ever. Bunch your cables, keep them as far away from fans and sources of heat as possible.

2. Dead fan(s)

A fan’s job is to cool. If a fan dies and for some crazy reason the computer doesn’t shut off like it’s supposed to when it gets too hot, whatever it was cooling will overheat, burn up and possibly take the whole computer with it.

Indicators that your computer is running too hot

1. When you touch the side of your case, it literally feels hot to the touch.

This is bad news. It is normally okay for a case to feel slightly warm to the touch, but if hot, that’s a problem.

If you have a laptop, that’s a different story. Many laptops run hot on the backplane (a.k.a. the bottom) due to the very limited space inside the chassis and there’s really not much you can do about it other than deal with it, or use a laptop stand with built-in fans.

2. Your computer randomly shuts off for seemingly no reason.

There probably is a reason – it’s running too hot. And your computer is saving itself by powering off to prevent itself from burning up. The solution is more fans or better fans if you can’t add any. Maybe a cooling system if you’ve got the cash for it.

What type of PCs have a higher risk of fire?

Custom built. Many people who build their own PCs cut corners and this can lead to disastrous results like fire later.

Bear in mind that I’m not talking about just high-powered gaming rigs here. Any improperly wired/fan’d PC box can burn up.

OEM boxes on the other hand, be they by Dell, Apple, Gateway or the like almost never have fire threat issues, much less actually catch on fire. The manufacturing process is done in such a way where extra special attention is given to ensure fire (almost, repeat, almost) never happens.

Got a disaster story with a computer burning up?

Whether it’s your story or someone else’s box, let us know in the comment section. Bonus points if you have pics (although not required). :-)

Comments

  1. I’ve never had my computer get on fire before. Have heard the gunshot though and that was the PSU completely dead.

    Worst I’ve had was a melted AMD Barton die.

  2. I’ve not had a fire yet, although I did have a hard drive die – in the middle of backing up so my main backup CD had already been wiped. Oh well, I still don’t remember most of what I lost, so I figure it mustn’t have been too essential.

    The best disaster story I ever heard, though, was a tech admin I know who decided, for some strange reason, to turn the case upside down – while it was running an install DVD. Needless to say, a DVD reader doesn’t run too well upside down, with the DVD loose and flying around inside it. To cap it off, the DVD in question happened to be the sole copy of a $15,000 software program.

    No, he didn’t lose the job. No idea how, but to talk his way out of that one he seriously could’ve done well in sales…

    • TheIceAge05 says:

      “CrystalsQuest”

      You swore to me that you would never tell anyone about that story?!?
      The only reasons I turn the case upside down was for security!
      That’s the only way this secret sofware progem could write itself on the underside of the hard drive.
      Sich! And I though that you were my friend!

  3. “Custom built. Many people who build their own PCs cut corners and this can lead to disastrous results like fire later.”

    Quite an assumtion that if you build the PC yourself you will cut corners. I would say, being a self builder, that everyone i know who self builds spends more money and more time on making sure everything is done properly. I would say that buying a cheap PC with a cheap PSU is increasing your chances of having a fire rather than bulding your own and actually choosing good quality parts. Just my 2p.

  4. Steve Stone says:

    Recently reported flame out events seem to be delegated to laptop batteries in professional built, mass marketed devices. In 30 years I’ve had just two home built machines smoke. One was a $39 bare bones special from a Florida based internet store. The power supply torched itself. The second was the failure of a controller chip on the underside of an early EIDE hard drive. Many computer consoles from the late 70′s had “drip pans” under the electronics to catch flaming debris before it scorched the carpet.

  5. One cause of overheating is a fan that is no longer performing well. This can be caused by build-up of dust on the blades and filters. Keeping them clean can help.

    ==

    In the days of CRT monitors, Xmas time could be a problem … tinsel can moult and drop into the HT circuits.

  6. That why I use cooler pad for my notebook, keep it cool for a long time, coz my internet connection always drop when it get hot, I use sierra aircard

  7. I agree, have seen a lot of computer with overheating problems.

  8. A pawn shop in Killeen, TX burned down in 08. One of their employees said that fire investigators guessed that the probable cause was a laptop charger/power cord that started it. They now turn off power to all devices in their ten plus stores overnight.

  9. Never had this happen myself, but I am a self builder. One thing I always try to take into account is the danger from fire. The ultimate disaster with this is that a fire started because of my computer could torch my entire house.

Leave a Reply