I'm trying to put together a new system as well but only out of necessity because my old system is no longer available to me.
The more I read and research, the more it seems that this month might be the worst month to be upgrading. Intel will be releasing Conroe in a couple of months; both AMD and Intel announced this will be followed by a massive price cut on their processors. If I had a choice, I would wait a few months until there is more information on both AMD AM2 and Intel Conroe and until they start their price wars..
You waited this long, why not a few months more : p