Originally Posted by Petef56
When I speak of "over-engineered", I'm referring to a device or system that was originally very simple in design and highly reliable but now redesigned to be overly complex and much less reliable.
Guess you've never fought with a spouce over the remote...Being able to beat the other person to the knob on the tv was a "let the best person win" kind of deal...It can't be any simpler then that
Maybe I should have picked on in-door plumbing. The brisk walk to the outhouse was always an adventure.
BUT, back to the linkage....
Assuming for a moment that engineers aren’t stupid and don’t make things up cause they’re bored… I bet the new fangled throttle stuff was designed for a reason(s).
1) less expensive to build – maybe $18 less dollars times 10 million cars
2) less expensive to install
3) overall less weight to the vehicle
4) less weight means better gas mileage
5) less space to store the parts in the parts department