Trouble connecting to internet.
Thank you for your assistance. The Dell laptop does not have a switch. You just press the F2 key to turn the wireless on or off. But that was not the problem. I went to answers.microsoft.com and disabled the proxy settings as follows:
1. Under "tools" in the browser tool bar select "Internet Options".
2. In the "Internet Options" window that pops up, click the "Connections" tab at the top.
3. Click "LAN Settings" near the bottom of the "Connections" section.
4. If the "Proxy Server" checkbox is marked with a check, click it to deselect / uncheck it.
5. Click "OK" to close the "Local Area Network (LAN) Settings" window.
6. Click "OK" to close the "Internet Options" window.
The above worked to get me online. I had to uninstall and reinstall AVG2011 because it was not updating and the components were non-functional. Once I reinstalled and put in my license number it worked. Bottom line: Laptop fixed.