Originally posted by heinzch:
i just got pacbell's basic adsl service.
i'd like to enable a second machine to access the net through the dsl modem.(alcatel speed touch home)
sofar, i've installed the follwing additional hardware:
- one pci 10/100 nic fast ethernet card (one per machine)
- one ethernet 10 base-t 5 port hub
- rj-45 cat5 crossover cable from hub to dsl modem.
- rj-45 cat5 straight cable dsl modem to pc-1 nic.
- rj-45 cat5 straight cable (150 ft.) hub to pc-2 nic.
basic dsl comes with 1 dynamic ip address only.
pc-1 dsl connection works fine, am having trouble connecting from pc-2 though.
am planning to let pc-2 use dsl connection without running pc-1, just having dsl modem and hub up.
any suggestions how i can accomplish this?
I do not think that the cable running from the dsl modem to the hub should be a crossover cable. Try a straight cable and see if it works.